Not a single injured arrives at Pims despite emergency

Source: Published in Health on Monday, August 17, 2015

ISLAMABAD: Lack of coordination between Pims and the local administration resulted in the hospital being put on high alert despite not receiving any official directive after the attack in Attock on Sunday which killed 15 people including Punjab Home Minister retired Col Shuja Khanzada.

A large number of people were also injured when the roof of the hall in which the minister was meeting people collapsed after the blast.

A doctor at Pims, requesting anonymity, said soon after the incident, the electronic media started reporting that the injured were being shifted to Islamabad and Rawalpindi, so the management put the hospital on high alert.

Doctors, nurses, paramedics and even officers of the administration wing reached the hospital and started making arrangements to receive the injured.

Lack of coordination between hospital, capital administration led to the confusion

“In such incidents (roof collapses), most of the affected people face head injuries, so Prof Khaleequz Zaman, the head of the neurosurgery department, was especially called to Pims. Surgeon Dr Tanveer Khaliq and other doctors were also asked to reach the hospital,” he said.

Moreover, he added, the management instructed doctors to ensure that their mobile phones remained switched on so that they can be called to work if there was a need.

When this reporter visited Pims, not only the staff was on alert but also offices in the administration department were open on Sunday. Moreover, mediapersons, especially from the electronic media, had also reached the hospital. But not a single injured person was brought to the hospital.

In the beginning, the hospital staff also made preparations to receive the minister as there were rumours that he was injured. However, when it was confirmed that the minister had died, the Pims administration continued making arrangements to receive the other injured.

Pims Vice Chancellor Dr Javed Akram told Dawn that after hearing the news about the blast it was decided to put the hospital on high alert.

“By afternoon, we were informed that three or four patients would be shifted to Pims for neurosurgery but later we learnt that a helicopter carrying the injured had landed at Gordon College and the injured were shifted to the District Headquarters Hospital Rawalpindi,” he said.

Another doctor of Pims requesting anonymity said there should be a proper mechanism and coordination to deal with such incidents.

It was nothing but wastage of resources and energy because after a day-long exercise we were told to go back, he said.

“On Saturday, we were not aware of the traffic accident in Murree in which six people lost their lives and the injured suddenly reached Pims,” he said.

Pims spokesperson Dr Ayesha Esani told Dawn that in the past the district administration used to act as a liaison department but for some time there had been an issue of coordination.

“Pims doesn’t have any system to get information about the arrival of patients so we depend on the electronic media to get such information. We will take steps to ensure that the district administration starts playing its coordinating role again,” she said.

Author Information