Charlie Hebdo: EU condemns Bilour's bounty offer

Source:  Tribune Published in Current Affairs on Friday, February 06, 2015

ISLAMABAD: The European Union (EU) on Thursday condemned Awami National Party (ANP) leader Ghulam Ahmed Bilour’s offer of $200,000 for anyone who would kill the owner of French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo.

“The European Union and its Member States deplore the statement made in Parliament by ANP Lawmaker on Monday,” the 27-nation bloc said in a statement issued on Thursday.

While condemning Bilour’s offer, the statement urged the government to take note of all such statements which incite violence. “We encourage the government of Pakistan to condemn all such statements inciting violence and terrorism,” the statement added.

Bilour, who in September 2012 had announced a $100,000 bounty for anyone who would kill the producer of the sacrilegious ‘Innocence of Muslims’, stirred new controversy earlier this week when he used the floor of the National Assembly to announce head-money for the owner of the French weekly which had published blasphemous caricatures.

Speaking on the floor of the National Assembly on Monday, Bilour also announced a $100,000 compensation for the families of those killed during the deadly attack on Charlie Hebdo offices in Paris last month. “I had already declared that I will not tolerate any attack on the sanctity of the Holy Prophet (pbuh),” said Bilour.

A diplomatic source told The Express Tribune that the EU has taken up the issue with the Pakistan government.



People Mentioned