The explosion was in Istiklal Street, a wide boulevard closed to traffic that is lined with international stores and shopping centres. A Reuters witness in the area saw police helicopters circling overhead and television footage showed people running from the area. A car bomb tore through the capital Ankara earlier this month, killing 37 people.
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Saturday that the country’s fight against terrorism would continue with full force after a suicide bomber killed four people and wounded 20 more in an attack in central Istanbul.
Cavusoglu made the comment at a joint news conference in Istanbul with his Iranian counterpart, who is on an official visit to Turkey. Earlier, a suicide car bomb tore through a transport hub just a few hundred meters away from Sakarya street on Sunday, killing 37 people and wounding dozens more. It was the third such attack in five months in the city, leaving many residents reluctant to venture out.
President Tayyip Erdogan said the attack will not weaken Turkey’s resolve in fighting terrorism. Warplanes hit PKK camps in northern Iraq hours after the blast, and clashes between the militants and the security forces have spread in the southeast.
There have been several security scares in Ankara and Istanbul amid fears of repeat bombings.